Thursday, August 25, 2011

Spray painting.

For our wedding in May, I spray painted the Ikea Ung Drill frame a purple to display our menu in.

Ikea Ung Drill Frame - $29.99
The frame itself, turned out really good, but I wasn't really impressed with my menu skills. I had bigger and better plans, which involved going to Kinkos, but I just ran out of time. I'm not sure if I'm willing to share the semi-disaster I created and still used, maybe I'll edit this later and throw it in... It really did seem fine the day before the wedding when I made it, but looking back at the lone picture of it, it's sort of lacking.

Anyways, I wanted to put this frame to use. I didn't want to just spend that $29.99 and have it sit in my basement forever. After painting my bedroom and doing some of the other work I've been doing in there lately, I decided that this could make the perfect addition to it. So I went on a mission... A mission for the perfect yellow spray paint. You may wonder how hard that could really be... Have you checked out the spray paint section at your local home improvement or hardware store? Well, they have yellow. Just straight, nasty, normal, regular yellow. That's it.

I remembered recently being at Dick Blick and seeing Montana Gold Spray paint... Montana Gold happens to come in the most fantastic array of colors! If you click that link, you can see all the wonderful colors, including the regular ol' yellow and the wonderful Banana I bought. I have to say, at least on my computer screen, the color is different. Maybe not as dark.

Montana Gold boasts that it is works on almost any surface and that it covers well. I figured this paint would be perfect and maybe even better than using just a regular spray paint. Note: I did actually spray prime before I ever spray painted this frame purple for the first time, so I wasn't going to be spray painting straight onto the original plastic. The paint covered really well and dried fast too. I was able to put on a couple coats in one day. I did have to go back and touch up later because, let's face it, my spray painting skills aren't top notch yet.

I think the only thing that would have made this go better is if I had maybe not had such a dark paint underneath, then I wouldn't have had to do as many coats. Or it just wouldn't have been as noticeable that I'm not that great at spray painting... Also, it would have been helpful if the ants could have refrained from walking all over it, especially while the paint was wet.

A couple days ago, I finally got around to hanging it up! It will probably end up moving, staying on the same wall, because I have more plans for the room...

Edit: Ike Ung Drill Update

No comments:

Post a Comment