Saturday, July 4, 2015

Happy 4th of July!

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Hey there...

I'm just checking in to say I'm still alive...! We've had a VERY busy spring that has included everything from a new job to a trip out of the country to a quick trip to Chicago to family events (and SO MUCH more!).

My new job has created quite the change in life for me, so I've had a hard time going home at the end of the day to sit in front of the computer. I actually have quite a few things to update on, but at the end of the day, I would rather be hitting up a yoga class or enjoying a barbeque with friends while we have what little summer we get here in Minnesota. Being subjected to horrible winters, really makes you appreciate the nice weather and you make sure to take full advantage of it.

Some future updates will soon hopefully include lots of work outside! We have lots of ideas and plans to improve our curb appeal and our little slice of semi-privacy out back. While we know what we want, getting things nailed down to exact details is half the battle for us. There will definitely be paint involved though. Nothing crazy.

So, stay tuned!

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Living Room Update

It's been awhile since I've shown where our living room is at. Last month we threw a little party for some friends and I was able to take some decent during the day photos of a clean house. Here is what our living room looks like now.


Golden Swivel Chairs - FindFurnish of Minneapolis, MN
Lane Acclaim Table Set (we have another side table that doesn't fit in the room) - FindFurnish
Philco Record Player - FindFurnish
Credenza - FindFurnish
Keller Hutch - FindFurnish
Curtains - Ikea
Curtain Rods - Restoration Hardware
Wood/Porcelain Lamp - Golden Age Designs
Arc Lamp - CB2
Foot Stool - Retro Wanderlust of Hopkins, MN
Nixon Couch - Thrive Furniture
"&" Pillow - Crate & Barrel
Yellow Pillow - World Market
Gray Herringbone Pillow - World Market
Teal Chevron Pillow - Target
Gray Sequin Pillow - Target
Knit Blanket - Target
Light Gray Herringbone Throw - West Elm
White Pillow with Gray Chevron Stitching - Target
Gold Owl - World Market
Rug - Menard's
Starburst Mirror - Home Depot
Starburst Clock - FindFurnish
Large Plants & Pots - Home Depot
Small Plants (Succulents) - Ikea, Lowe's & Menards
Small White Pots - Ikea
Frames - Target
Prints on Black Wall - Etsy
Starburst Print - Eames Foundation
Basket under the Side Table - H&M
Gold Lamp - from Grandma!
Bullet Planter - Hip Haven
Jax/Jacks - World Market

I skipped a lot of the small things... If you see something I missed and want to know, just ask!

See what our living room looked like before.

Monday, February 16, 2015

The Free Roadside 1956 Desk | Before & After

The desk is complete! And I love it!

Just a reminder, but this is where it started...

Way back after we picked it up, I cleaned it really well and took some sandpaper to it. Before I painted it, I used {that toxic stuff} to help remove anything else that might be lingering. I did that before we ended up switching sizes on the handles from what was originally there. So, I then had to fill the holes. They were a decent size, so I filled once and sanded and came back again and repeated the process. Sometimes when the holes are a little larger, when the filler dries it doesn't quite fill everything up perfectly.

I only have those couple of really bad in progress shots from my phone that don't really even show too much. I was just too excited to get everything going and totally forgot...

Bill created a template for drilling all of the holes for the new handles. He's really good with being exact with that kind of stuff, where as I usually end up with a wonky hole somewhere in the mix... 

I used one layer of primer (Killz, because it was what I had on hand) to cover everything up and make sure I had a good starting point for the paint. I then ended up doing two layers of paint just to get a good coverage everywhere. For all of the painting, I used a small foam roller for most of it and a high quality brush to hit the places where a brush wouldn't work.

Once everything was dry, we got the handles installed. We waited even longer just so that the paint had some time to sit and dry really well before putting the drawers back in so that the paint wouldn't get messed up. I am soon happy with how it all turned out!

Two daytime shots...

 And a few night shots...

For now, that little Target stool fits perfect underneath, but I definitely need something better... a little taller, with a back. I've also discovered that the top isn't 100% flat. I'm guessing it warped a little at some point. There is only one exact spot on the surface that I have found where the keyboard doesn't "rock" while I type...