Thursday, May 8, 2014

Patched up Doorway and Picking the Wrong Paint Color...

So... remember that door jam/frame I ripped out awhile back by the back door? Well, when the mud/tape guy was doing the basement, I had him fix up that door way.

There were some imperfections (and there still are) in the work that was done, as well as a bunch of nail holes to fill in around that area and in the kitchen in general. It took me awhile to fix those small things up, sand everything down good, and do it all over again. I primed it all up and let it sit...

Isn't that so much better already? All of the light. Nice, smooth surfaces.

I had thought that I had enough left over paint to just paint over that area. I was way wrong. I/we decided that it was best to just go ahead and paint the whole kitchen. I didn't really love the color, but I was fine with it.

Since it was basically already started, we decided that it would be best to do new baseboard in the kitchen. Started means that a few pieces had already been ripped out. The kitchen was the only room that didn't have a normal white baseboard. I'm going to guess it was purchased and installed with the floor to match it. But it was done so horribly... or just poorly treated since it was installed. Covered in paint... Bad cuts that chipped of the fake wood 'veneer'... Yuck.

I love the color of my bedroom (Behr's Anonymous) and decided to just bring it down a level in the darkness, bring us to Behr's Sparrow. I eagerly ran to Home Depot and grabbed a bucket of paint and primer in one (because it makes painting sooo much easier). I didn't get a chance to paint right away. But two nights earlier this week I went for it.

It. Is. Purple. Not the wonderful gray I was looking for.

I basically decided I didn't like it while it was going on, but thought it was best to give it a chance. I let it sit completed (with some touch ups needed) for a couple days and decided I just could not stand it any longer. It's just not a color for this house and not a color for our kitchen. The color itself is actually really nice, but it just doesn't work here.

And actually, in the photos, it doesn't look so bad. If it looked that way in real life, I probably could have lived with it for awhile.

Last night, while out running errands, we grabbed a can of Behr's Dolphin Fin. I really, really hope this one works... I'm dreading painting the kitchen for the second time in one week and I really hope I never have to do it again...On the bonus side of it, underneath/behind the oven and kitchen are already clean!

We're having a party here in a week or so, I'm really hoping we can have it all together by then. While it really isn't all that much, this is the time of the year that is crazy for us and we don't exactly have all the tools for doing the trim...  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment